- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Red chili pepper flakes
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces 2% processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- Heat a large olive oil in a medium pot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broccoli. Saute until tender. Add chicken stock. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan, or use an emulsion blender in the pot. Serve with toasted slices of baguette.